Welcome to Year 4!
Use our Year 4 page to find lots of information and links to useful websites to help you with your learning.
Balderton site - The teachers in Year 4 are Mrs E Atkinson and Mrs S MacNish. They are supported by Mrs E Thorpe and Ms K Edwards.
Fernwood site - The teacher in Year 4 is Mrs K Owen. She is supported by Mrs M Munslow.
Our topics this year:
- How did the Romans influence Britain? (History based)
- How does light and sound affect our lives? (Science based)
- Reversible and irreversible changes (Science based)
- Can you show me the way to...? (History and Geography based - local area study)
- Why did Robin Hood choose Nottinghamshire? (History and Geography based)
- How are living things suited to their environment? (Science and Geography based)
Throughout all of our topics we link in as many different subject areas as possible (eg: Art, DT, music) to create a cross curricular approach to learning.
Home Learning Project
As well as using the home learning sites and activities for Key Stage 2, pupils in Year 4 can also undertake a project (if they wish) to finish the 'Our Local Area' topic for this half term.
Key questions to consider:
- Why do people choose to live in Balderton/Fernwood?
- Where might people work if they live here?
- What amenities might they use?
- describe and understand key aspects of: human geography, including: types of settlement and land use, economic activity including trade links, and the distribution of natural resources including energy, food, minerals and water
- use fieldwork to observe, measure and record the human and physical features in the local area using a range of methods, including sketch maps, plans and graphs, and digital technologies.
Think about why people live in Balderton/Fernwood and what they like about it. Are there any amenities that are missing? Take on the role of a town planner and imagine you had the money and resources to provide a major new development.
- Draw/create a plan for your new development, thinking carefully about residential, leisure and commercial areas.
- Think about where each amenity will be, who will use it and how much it might cost to build.
- Prepare a convincing presentation as to why your idea is the best.
We look forward to seeing your finished projects!
Useful things to remember:
- PE kits are to be kept in school for the whole half term. If you are part of an after school club, please bring a spare kit on this day. Initially, our PE sessions will be on Friday afternoons until February half term. After February half term, we will continue to have PE on a Friday afternoon and will also have PE on a Tuesday morning.
- From September until February half term, you will need your swimming kit every Thursday morning. Please remember this is a one piece costume for girls and tight/fitted trunks for boys. No jewellery is to be worn and long hair needs to be tied back.
- Maths and English homework will be set on alternate weeks with a clear hand in date.
- Topic homework will be the form of a pre-learning task for our topics or project based. We will ensure the date is written on the homework as to when this needs to be handed in.
- Times Table Rockstars/ Read Theory – please practise these every week at home.
Useful Websites and Links